Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Baked Jasmine Ric with Chicken and Black Beans
3/4 cup yellow onion chopped
1 garlic glove minced
1/2 chili pepper chopped (optional)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup black beans
1 1/2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken (white and dark meat)
3/4 c. jasmine rice
2 cups chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350.
Heat olive oil over medium. Saute onion, garlic and peppers for 5 minutes, add spices, salt and pepper. Add black beans and chicken, stir until combined. Lower heat Do not overcook. Stir constantly about 3 minutes. Put into 8 x 8 glass casserole dish. pour rice over chicken mixture. Pour chicken broth over entire dish. Make sure rice is covered throughout.
Cover with aluminum foil tightly. Bake in oven for 1 hour. Serve hot.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
These are great, quick and healthy. I love cooking new things that combine zucchini and tofu that are not your typical stir fry. Enjoy!
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4″ slices (about 2 cups)
1 cups sliced mushrooms (I used button, whatever you have on hand is great)
1 carrot, coarsely chopped
1 small onion, cut into 1/4″ strips
1 tsp. minced garlic
6-oz. can of tomato paste or 6 oz. from cooked can of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. ground cumin or 1/4 tsp cumin seed
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
1 pkg. 12 oz Tofu Extra Firm, cut into 1/2″ cubes (about 2 cups)
3 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2″ cubes (about 1 cup) or 1/2 can tomatoes from puree
10 soft taco wheat tortillas
Optional: avocado slices for garnish.
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Heat olive oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Add the zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine tomato paste (or cooked tomato puree), water, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, cumin and pepper in a small bowl; add the mixture to the skillet.
5. Gently stir in the tofu cubes and plum tomatoes. Reduce heat to low; cover and heat through, about 5 minutes.
6. To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of mixture into each of the heated tortillas.