Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sangria Spritzer


Sangria Spritzer


Yes, a recipe for a drink! The other night I had some girlfriends over for drinks and birthday cake for my good friend Molly. Of course, EVERYONE brought a bottle of wine. So I was left with a so-so bottle of red. I am not a fan of cheap red wine. I like a good red. So I was racking my brain trying to think of what to do with this Yellow Tail Shiraz. Then I thought, hey I have 2 ripe, juicy grapefruits and some seltzer. A combo sangria - spritzer came to be!

This recipe makes 2 batches and will serve 8 glasses in an 8-oz. low-ball glass.

Note - I'm not a big sweets person so you can add more sugar for a sweeter drink. Also, if you don't like grapefruit or have oranges on hand use those instead.

4 cups cheap red wine - I recommend Yellowtail Shiraz
2 large pink grapefruits
1 large lime
1/4 c. sugar (for a sweeter drink make it 1/2 cup)
24 oz. lime seltzer - I recommend Blue Sky Lime (I'm addicted to the stuff)
Lime slices for garnish

In a blender put 2 cups red wine. Add juice from one grapefruit and 1/2 lime. Add 1/8 cup of the sugar. Add about 1 cup of ice. Give the blender a whirl. Line up 4 - 8 oz. glasses filled with ice and a 1/2 a can of seltzer to each glass. Then pour the blended concoction into each glass and enjoy.

No comments: