- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple juice or unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- Ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds flank or flapp steak, cut diagonally across the grain into 1/2-inch-by-3-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or garbanzo bean flour if you have it
- 1 head broccoli, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch rounds, florets separated into bite-size pieces
- Coarse salt
- In a large, shallow bowl, mix soy sauce, apple juice/sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add meat; toss to coat. Let marinate 15 minutes. Transfer meat to a plate; reserve marinade.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. In two batches, cook meat until lightly browned, turning once, about 2 minutes per batch. Remove meat. Add 1/2 cup water to pan; stir up browned bits with a wooden spoon. Pour into marinade; whisk in cornstarch/flour.
- In same skillet, fry broccoli in remaining teaspoon oil over high heat until bright green and crisp, tossing often, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup water; cook until broccoli is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir marinade, add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 30 seconds. Return meat to pan; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.